Viva La Raza

Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Little of This, A Little of That

      Wow, so it has been awhile. But does that really surprise you? I didn't think so. Let me tell you about today. BOY WAS IT GOOD! OK, sooo every Thursday we have a women's Bible study at Sara's house. The ongoing theme throughout this week was God's provisions. I am only telling you this to explain more of my day, so it can make sense. Anywho, we had a great discussion, talked about certain points in the study, and prayed. OK flash-foward to tutoring....
      
      Today at Spanish tutoring, Nadia asked me how the Bible study went (Nadia is my tutor by the way. She is soooo nice! Did I tell you we go to Spanish tutoring Tues.-Fri.? Well, we do. ) I explained to her (which I am going to explain to you right now) that in the study we learned that when the Israelites were in the Desert for 40 years after they had been led out of Egypt by Moses God provided for them. They had food (manna & quail), God's presence (pillar of a cloud & pillar of fire), and clothing. Their shoes and clothes lasted them 40 years!! What brand were they because I want some shoes that will last me 40 years! Anywho, Nadia and I discussed how we have so much stuff and sometimes we feel like we don't have what we need or that we need more. But God knows exactly what, when, where, how much, etc. EVERYTHING that we need. We talked about how we sometimes struggle with stress or worry about our "needs", but God our provider knows what we need. Then we talked about how we can become accustomed to having God present in our life. That we can become so comfortable and have so into our routine that we don't truly appreciate God or the relationship we have with him. (I know this past year I have really been a little too comfortable with my little life in Abilene. I've felt  like I'm not as brave as I used to be, and have often felt like I'm not doing much for the big man upstairs.) Anywho... with all that said. The Bible study at Sara's and my Spanish conversation with Nadia was just wonderful! :) OK flash-foward to lunch... (I won't make it super long, even though it was great Sara!)

      So I ate lunch with Sara today. Every week we take turns eating lunch with Sara, so we can have individual relationships with her instead of always being in our little group. The food was phenomenal and my company was lovely. We had a lovely chat, but I won't get into all of that.

      OK here is where the super fun of the day comes in. (If you are bored at this point in my conversation with you please go take a break, get something to drink or eat (tacos), and finish this later. I just want to tell you everything so you can be part of my day, but its really hard to condense something great into something so small!) Tonight was our last LST party. (Let's Start Talking/Convivio for the church). It was just soo much fun. The theme was Vaqueros y Cowboys. We played games with stick horses and water guns. There was music playing, people sang, their was a Mexican dance, and a traditional Michoacán dance of the old people (baile de los viejitos). We had tons of pozole to eat. YUM! (ooo with avocados, lime, and tortillas! Heaven on earth every day as I eat Mexican food!) There was also a presentation of certificates and a small gift for those who completed there English studies with Let's Start Talking. Afterwards we helped clean up, and were on our way back home. 

      Well, that was my day in a nutshell. I could tell you everything in more detail, but that would just take too long! But trust me it was a good day. I am really excited because the awkward, not knowing anybody/I'm not confident in my Spanish phase is diminishing. I actually have more confidence in my Spanish, and I'm not so awkward around people because I am actually getting to know them.  I'm pumped because the people here are no longer strangers to me, but are becoming my friends and people I love to see and be around. So woo-hoo for relationships and not being so nervous! :)

      Thanks for taking a peak inside my life. I know I say this often, but I will try to write sooner than I usually do, but I do have a busy weekend ahead. Going to the Centro for Spanish tutoring, 4th of July fiesta, going to a mountain with the youth, go to church (which by the way I will be singing on the praise team in a few weeks! Too COOL! and an intern retreat en la playa (beach) (Hey don't judge me because it's at the beach! I'm going to see the Lord's beauty in a new way there!) ;) I do hope you each have a super day! Adios!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home